A Chagall and a Tree Leaf


I spent all my savings on a Chagall lithograph and placed it beside
an oak leaf I had picked up on the road
something we can put a price on
and something we can’t
something that human heart and hand have produced
and something that Nature has.
The Chagall is beautiful.
The oak leaf is also beautiful.
I get up and make tea,
with soft afternoon sunlight falling on the table.
Looking at the Chagall,
those days spent with her come back to me.
When I look at the oak leaf
I think of the creator’s delicacy.
A leaf and the Chagall
both are irreplaceably precious.
The sound of Ravel on the piano heightens.
Today becomes one with the eternity.
Heart and body melt into the blue sky beyond the window.
... Where do these tears come from?

*******
Shuntaro Tanikawa (Tokyo, Japan, 15 December 1931)
◙  Artwork: Marc Chagall

Popular posts from this blog

Vuelo sin Orillas

Absurdos